May 28, 2009

Trucking Companies That Hire Students


Hey All! We've revamped this site! Check us out at https://www.thecdltribune.com/! See you there!


I know with the unstable economy, some of us have turned to getting a Class A CDL, and are starting out a new career in truck driving, being at a student level, however, I know first hand that it can be somewhat of a chore trying to find a truck driving job with no driving experience.

Below is a list that I have put together for people seeking truck jobs as students, inexperienced drivers, etc. I didn't link them all, but I hope this list makes your search easier.

I also have links to trucking companies in our sidebar, so be sure to check those out too.

  • TankStar USA
  • Central Refrigerated Transport
  • McElroy Trucking
  • Swift Transportation - Swift also provides Classes for those who need a Class A CDL.
  • C.R. England - C.R. England also provides Classes for those who need a Class A CDL. The lastest update is that all company drivers are being made to team drive.
  • KLLM Transport - KLLM hires Recent CDL School Graduates with a minimum course length of 160 hours.
  • Schneider National - Schneider National also provides Classes for those who need a Class A CDL, along with recent graduates.
  • Star Transportation
  • Covenant Transport
  • CRST - CRST also provides Classes for those who need a Class A CDL.
  • FFE Transportation - This company also offers training.
  • USA Truck - USA Truck has partnered with Driver Solutions to provide Classes to those who need a Class A CDL.
  • PAM Transport - PAM Transport has partnered with Driver Solutions to provide Clases to those who need a Class A CDL.
  • Averitt - This Company no longer hires with Driver Solutions, and doesn't hire students.
  • BTC Flat
  • CTL Transportation
  • Watkins and Shepard - No Driver Trainer here, see website for details.
  • Werner Enterprises
  • May Trucking
  • Trans Am Trucking
  • Roehl Transport
  • Arrow Trucking Co. This company went Bankrupt.
  • Prime, Inc. - Prime, Inc. also has classes for those who need a Class A CDL.
  • Paschall Truck Lines
  • Squire Transportation
  • Con-Way Truckload - Hires students within 30 days of graduating a CDL School, Con-Way also offers a LTL division that truckload division drivers are eligable to transfer to after 3 years.
  • Central Refrigerated Transport
  • TMC
  • US Xpress
  • Superior Carriers - Intermitently Hires Students
  • Carry Transit - Intermittently hires Students
  • Transport America
  • Land Span Transportation
  • National Distributors Leasing
**UPDATE** 03/12/2012

Along with these companies, many times, you can find local companies that will hire you without experience, Often it is better to get at least 1 to 2 years over the road (OTR) experience before looking for a local position, this way you'll be hireable by the majority. However, if this isn't an option, look in the phone book and call asphalt companies, dirt hauling companies, cement and aggregates, etc. Many times these positions will start off not as a total driving position, rather as a driver/warehouse or driver/laborer position.
You'll end up paying dues somewhere to get your foot in the door, where you do however depends on what path you take. Many larger companies like Swift, C.R. England, and Schneider National will offer local and/or dedicated runs in areas because they have such a large freight pool and many established customers. Do not be afraid to ask about local/dedicated runs, many times and more often than not in trucking you will have to approach your dispatcher about changing your runs, to something more favorable. I'd say that the only exception is when there is a extreme need for drivers on a particular account.

12 comments:

Charlie on July 9, 2009 at 5:23 PM said...

Don't goto CR England! I got screwed by them and thier school.
They are theves and liers and like to falsify information to coak you into thier scams.
I had to come home and live with my parents because they promised the world to me. Well that is not the case. Im homeless with no job, I gave every thing up because of them. Now Im trying to get into another school here at home and hope it works. CR England is bad and all they care about is the money if you know what I mean.
Ill keep truckin you all take care.

Matt on July 10, 2009 at 12:21 AM said...

@Charlie

I hate to hear stories like that. I put them up there because they DO hire students, however as I've mentioned in other posts, I haven't really heard anything positive about their OTR division.

You should look into workforce grant (H1B I believe it's called) and go to a local community college. Good Luck!

Matt

amy on July 20, 2009 at 6:38 PM said...

I worked for CR.England they got me for truck abandment when my DM told me that i could leave my freightliner at the dealership an they would send a driver after it.. an they promise you all kinds of miles that you wont get... an I also worked for centeral refrigheraton they got me for 2 preventables when they told me that they was non-preventalbes.. so my advice is to check out the trucking companies before commenting yourself to them...

tim in kentucky on August 14, 2009 at 7:43 AM said...

im looking for company that will hire recent grads with felonies anyone who knows of any please let me know my addy is ddueck@roadrunner.com

Unknown on September 28, 2009 at 8:28 PM said...

I was just wondering if anyone had any information about certain trucking companies getting paid by the government to hire students. My father had been a draftsman for 33 years and with the economy found himself out of work. He got his CDL with different endorsements but is having a rough go with the company that hired him and there have been numerous rumors about this company and others being paid to hire students. If anyone has any helpful advice it would be greatly appreciated. He is gone for a month at a time and making less than he did on unemployment. Please shoot me an email, thanks.
Melissa
Melissagould1982@gmail.com

Unknown on January 7, 2010 at 2:06 AM said...

I have my CDL i went to NTTS for the 18 week program and they screwed me over big time and are still screwing me,they talk a big game but there trucks are junk,and most of the yard trucks/backing up trucks are garbage,most of them were older then me.power steering?w.t.h is that?lol
anyways,the problem i am running into now is that 90%of the companys wont hire a 21 year old that is trying to get his foot in the door,i grew up around trucks and hell i was driving a semi-farm truck when i was 16,most companys wont even look at you if you dont have 5 solid years of work history which screws me because i was still in high school 5 years ago and working for my father/grandfather on the farm milking cows.any help would be great as i need to get to work,have a new born here and need to make some better money.

Anonymous said...

I've 10 months OTR experience but Ive been off the road since January 2009 due to my last company terminating me due to "safety issues" as they put it.I've disputed the incident they put on my DAC after my termination but I'm still not able to find an employer thats willing to hire me due to CRST terminating me.I've hazmat and tankards endorsements and Im 23 years old with a clean DAC record.I've been charge with a felony in 2004 but was only convicted of a misdemeanor.I worked for Swift in the past and Im really not trying to go backwards.If anyone can help me shoot me a comment back.Jamaulo@gmail.com

Unknown on August 9, 2011 at 12:09 AM said...

I swear to you CR England was the Best and Worst experience of my life. I could write enough to match everyones comments listed combined. If you have a hope with england drive company, and drive solo. I heard all the stories about people getting screwed but one look at who I was hearing it from I thought to myself these people cant even wake up in the morning and look like their fresh out of rehab or prison ofcourse they are going to have bad experiences, but better believe that CR England are PROFESSIONAL CROOKS. only people making any money are company drivers, I should know I leased and am indebt to them because they did not honor their warranty the truck they gave me broke down left and right and it just sucked me dry not to mention getting stuck on a 34 hr restart across the country with no money, F@#$ England trust me dont support a company that causes people to loose their mortgage, marriage, credit, finances, and sense of pride, ps I never worked for their sister companies but watch them too, I just cant trust any of them, do your research, dont be afraid to make a career move, just be humble and dont gamble with their 2000 a week job for new graduates its a false hope. thats all i feel like saying, ill save my juice for a book or movie lol i should have one -california driver

Jand on August 20, 2011 at 11:07 PM said...

Hello, I am a 35 year old in north east Florida, I have been driving rollbacks, wreckers and sign cranes (class B) for years, with no accidents or violations but just recently obtained my class A CDL and tanker endorsement... So, no official OTR experience, only class B, and around these 4-5 counties. Can anyone point me to a company that would hire me with my limited experience? I have an excellent MVR record (no violations in a decade) and no criminal or anything. CLEAN BACKGROUND. PLEASE EMAIL ME! jandharris@gmail.com I'm available immediately. Thanks for reading!

Jen McCleve on December 19, 2011 at 11:31 AM said...

I've heard that starting off doing flatbed trucking really helps the learning process because you have a little more visibility. Is there any truth to that? It seems like it would be a great way to start a career.

HealthDisease on April 12, 2012 at 5:46 AM said...

This is nice site.
Truck Driving Jobs

Anonymous said...

Your page says Averitt Express does not hire student-drivers. This is not correct.

Averitt Express does hire recent CDL school graduates. I am in school now, will graduate 01/03/2013 and a recruiter came in and I have been offered a job with them.

Just a heads up on an error. I do not think I will go with Averitt as I want to run all 48, but if any new grads are looking for a professional company with very fair pay, benefits, etc, and want to run primarily in the Southeast, Southwest, Midwest they may want to consider Averitt.